Wednesday 9 November 2011

De Juice - Sugar Cane Juice - Dixon Food Court - Haymarket

It would seem that I have one thing in common with a Dixon Food Court fresh juice vendor and that is the choice of the French word "De" in that we have chosen to identify ourselves to outside world by its use. De is a very important and versatile preposition with many different meanings and uses in the French language. I can say that I had the pleasure to have once met the founding father of the highly regarded purveyor of quality sugar cane juice De Juice in Dixon Food Court....


It was 10 years ago that I had visited Dixon Food Court and had noticed a young gentleman behind the counter offering freshly crushed sugar cane. I ordered a glass of his freshly squeezed sugar cane juice and was highly impressed as I expected to be overdosed with a very sweet syrupy concoction and it was not what I expected. The young chap explained that he had travelled to Thailand and noticed freshly crushed sugar cane was popular in Thailand and he thought there might be a market for this kind of freshly crushed juice in Australia. He imported the juice crushing equipment directly from Thailand and the rest is history. At the time I commended him for his choice of "De Juice" as a trading name as I thought it was quite clever. He had great plans at the time to grow his juice business. I wonder if "De Juice" is still owned by him, but I have to say I was highly impressed by his entrepreneurial skills and wished him all the best in his travels. I take off my hat off to De Juice for being around for at least 10 years in its current location.

Today I find myself in Dixon Food Court and I have feasted on a "Tung-Po Meat" meal from Asian Style Cuisine and I've got a thirst. I was hitting the booze on the train on my way up to Sydney and I needed to give the Ethanol a rest. I head straight for my favourite juice vendor in Haymarket.


The colour green is used effectively to convey the product. It has a relaxing comforting atmosphere that you get from experiencing nature. The lady behind the counter is such a darling and takes great pride in her work. I managed to solicit a welcoming smile from her as I produced my camera to take photographs. So it's my turn to order....Well I'm as big as Ben Hur, so everything has to be king size, so I order the large sugar cane juice for $4.00 (small for $3.00). I notice other drinks on offer such as Honey Suckle Tea for $3.00.


There's much to be said about being loved and I experience that special moment where I feel some one cares for me. There seems to be a lot of attention to my order and it gives me a warm welcoming glow to see the love and care going into making me happy. There's a lot to be said for that adage; "That the way to a man's heart is through his stomach." Well I'm having one of those moments.


Ahh....Perfection. What more does one need to be happy in life. I'm much happier sitting here in "Ye Olde Dixon Food Court" sipping my freshly squeezed sugar cane juice than any fancy smancy, pretencious smart arse pompous expensive restaurant. This is the life.

De Juice
Dixon Food Court
Cnr Dixon & Little Hay St
Haymarket, NSW



View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment